Understanding PHP MySQL
Throughout this article, we will cover the components that make up PHP MySQL together, so you will be able to create robust and scalable web applications using PHP and MySQL.
We are also going to discuss how to connect to a MySQL database using both the mysqli extension and the PDO extension in PHP.
Additionally, we will cover how to use PHP to create, read, update, and delete data from a MySQL database.
PHP MySql – Overview
PHP MySQL are two powerful technologies that are commonly used together in web development. PHP is a server-side scripting language that is used to create dynamic web pages, while MySQL is a relational database management system that is used to store and manage data.
PHP and MySQL are open-source technologies, which means they are free to use and can be customized to suit the needs of individual developers. These technologies are also widely supported by hosting providers, making them easy to use and deploy on the web.
MySQL is one of the most popular and widely used open-source relational database management systems.
As a common practice in PHP, users usually rely on MySQL to store and retrieve data in web applications, as it is well known to work effectively.
What is MySQL?
MySQL is a free and open-source relational database management system (RDBMS) that is used to store, manage, and retrieve data. It is one of the most popular database management systems in the world, and is widely used in web development and other applications.
MySQL is based on a client-server model, where a client application communicates with a MySQL server to access and manipulate data. MySQL can be installed on a variety of operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Linux, and Unix. It is also supported by many web hosting providers, making it a popular choice for web development.
MySQL is known for its scalability, reliability, and performance. It supports multiple storage engines, which allow you to choose the best storage engine for their application. MySQL also supports transactions, which allow multiple database operations to be grouped together and executed as a single unit of work.
MySQL uses a structured query language (SQL) to interact with the database. SQL is a standard language used for managing relational databases, and is used to create, read, update, and delete data from the database. MySQL also provides a variety of tools and utilities for managing the database, including command-line tools, graphical user interfaces, and web-based interfaces.
MySQL is widely used in web development, particularly for building database-driven web applications. It is often used in conjunction with other technologies, such as PHP, to create dynamic web pages that can interact with the database in real-time. MySQL is also used in other applications, such as data warehousing, business intelligence, and analytics.
A MySQL database is a collection of tables that contain the data that is stored in it. There are columns and rows in a table, which are a collection of data that is related to one another.
A database is an efficient way to organize and categorize large amounts of information. For instance, a company may create a database with tables such as Employees, Products, Customers, and Orders to streamline their data management.
By utilizing a well-designed database, companies can efficiently store and access vast amounts of data. For example, with the tables mentioned above, businesses can easily access employee records, product information, customer data, and order histories.
The organized data in a database also facilitates various business operations, such as inventory management, customer relationship management, and financial reporting. This helps improve business processes, enabling companies to make informed decisions and improve productivity.
MySql Database Queries
The term query is used to refer to either a question or a request.
When a query is run on a database, we can retrieve a set of records containing specific information.
Let’s look at an example query (using standard SQL):
SELECT FirstName FROM Customers
According to the query above, we select all the data from the “Customers” table that are in the “FirstName” column.
You can download a free PHP server with a MySQL database if you don’t already have one: Click here to get it for free.
Below are some interesting facts about MySQL:
- MySQL was created in 1995 by Michael Widenius and David Axmark, while they were working at a Swedish software company called TcX DataKonsult AB.
- The name “MySQL” is a combination of the founders’ daughter names, My and SQL.
- MySQL is the world’s most popular open-source database management system, with over 10 million installations worldwide.
- MySQL is used by many popular websites and applications, including Mrexamples, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia, and Google.
- MySQL is available under two different licenses: the open-source GNU General Public License (GPL) and a commercial license.
- MySQL is known for its high performance, scalability, and reliability, which makes it a popular choice for web developers and other applications.
- MySQL supports a variety of storage engines, including InnoDB, MyISAM, and Memory, which allows developers to choose the best storage engine for their application.
- MySQL uses a structured query language (SQL) to interact with the database, which is a standard language used for managing relational databases.
- MySQL provides a variety of tools and utilities for managing the database, including command-line tools, graphical user interfaces, and web-based interfaces.
- MySQL is owned by Oracle Corporation, which acquired it in 2010 as part of its acquisition of Sun Microsystems.